Predictable routines help children understand what is coming next in the day as well as what they are expected to do throughout the day. This, paired with a visual schedule, communicates the sequence of upcoming activities or events through the use of objects, photographs, icons, words or a combination of tangible supports. A visual schedule tells a student where she should be and when she should be there.
- help students become independent.
- reduce anxiety for students by providing a clear structure for the school day.
- remind students of routines.
- set expectations for the day.
- Communicate the daily schedule and set clear expectations at the beginning of each day.
- Design a format for your visual schedule that is age appropriate (pictures, words or a combination of the two).
- Have the schedule visible for all students each day.